Image Map

25 March 2014

Hummus and Kale Tabbouleh

If I haven't mentioned it before- I'm mentioning it now, I'm Jewish - born and raised. I had my Bat Mitzvah and have done the Birthright Trip to Israel. Hummus and Tabbouleh are in my blood.Funny enough though, I never even attempted to make either until a few months ago.

But once you make your own, you never go back. First off- it's so much easier than I even expected it to be. Second- it's delicious, and you can make all the fun variations just like you see in the store. It takes 20-30 mins to make both dishes and you then have some great snacks or dinner for the week. Add some pita bread and boom- you're golden.

I always start with making the tabbouleh first- just because you have to cook the bulgur.

Kale Tabbouleh

Ingredients:

 2/3 Cup fine bulgur
3 tbsp lemon juice
1 shallot, finely chopped
2 tsps ground cumin
1 1/4 tsp sea salt, more as needed
1/2 evoo, more as needed
1 bunch of kale, stems removed, leaves finely chopped (approx 5 Cups)
2 lg ripe tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup torn mint leaves
1/2 cup diced radishes
black pepper as needed














Directions:
1. Cook bulgur according to package instructions. cool.
2. In  a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, shallot, cumin and salt. Whisk in olive oil.
3. In a large bowl, toss together bulgur, kale, tomatoes, mint, and radish. Toss in dressing. Season with pepper and more salt if you like, and drizzle with additional oil is desired.








Just like that




Hummus
 (I always double mine- and if you don't have a food processor, try it in the blender and let me know how it goes!)
Ingredients:
1 (15 oz) can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup tahini (I find this on the same aisle as peanut butter)
half of a large garlic clove, minced
2 tbsp olive oil, plus more for serving
1/2 -1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
2-3 tbsp water
dash of paprika for serving


Directions:
1. In a food processor, combine tahini and lemon juice. Process for 1 minutes- scrap sides of bowl then process for another 30 seconds- 1 min.

2. Add the olive oil, garlic, cumin, and salt to tahini/lemon juice mixture. Process for 30 seconds, scrape sides and process for another 30 seconds.

3. Rinse chickpeas well with water. Add half to the food processor and process for 1 minute. Scrape sides, add remaining chickpeas and process for 1-2 minutes or until mixture is thick and quite smooth.

4. If the hummus is too thick- turn food processor on and slowly add 2-3 tbsp of water until it is the consistency you would like.

5. Scrape hummus out of the bowl and top with olive oil and paprika if you like- then enjoy!


 As usual I'm doing the great Recipe Swap link-up with Kate and Emily. Check out what everyone else made this week and Enjoy!!



Martinis & Bikinis
post signature

3 comments:

  1. How creative you are! Hummus is a weakness of mine. I've gotta to try making it myself instead of buying it from the store. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so so yummy! I love hummus. I am having it as a snack today, actually. Nom nom nom! I will definitely be trying this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delish! You know I've never tried kale? I know I know.... I need to come out from under my rock :-P

    ReplyDelete